Saturday 9 February 2008

Free video editing software

I just spotted this rather nice simple video editing suite from Pinnacle. It's free to download (150Mb) and has quite a few nice features that put it above the standard Microsoft video editor.

It supports flash and direct upload to YouTube, it also enables you to save your movies in a number of formats, many of which are compatible with a range of mobile devices such as i-pod and Sony PSP.

I've downlaoded it and it seems pretty easy to use. You can add transitions, text , music sound effects etc.

The catch is that if you want to keep using the codecs that enable you to export to DivX and Mepg2 - 4, then after a 15 day trial you'll need to buy those. Not sure yet how much they are though.

You can download it from: http://videospin.com/

If you don't need those, then this is a really handy video editor for free.
It runs on Vista and XP, but not MAC, but then if you have a MAC you won't need it.

Hope you find this useful

Best

Nik

2 comments:

Christoph said...

Hi there and thanks for the link. I've just started trying this out and it seems pretty good. I'm not very familiar with Movie Maker but I have never been able to get it to do quite what I want (for example, I have no idea how to change the length of a transition). The ads that play the entire time that you are using this are a bit annoying: do you have any idea if they can be turned off? Perhaps that's the price of free software...

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Christopher,

Although the software is free, I think some of the more complex codecs are just on trial and you need to pay for them if you want to keep them. It could be that if you pay you get rid of the ads!!?? Not really sure as I haven't got that far yet. I actually didn't notice the ads though. I think of got very used to tunning things like that out!
Anyway, let me know how you get on.

Best

Nik