Monday 7 July 2008

Create your own sms groups

With the vast increase in the number of people with phones capable of receiving sms, having your own group for your students seems like a pretty good idea.

GupShup provides you with the ability to make this happen for free. You 'simply' register for free on their site and then start creating groups. The site has quite a few groups there already and some with more than 2,000 members. The groups are split into categories and there's a couple of pages of educational ones, which include quite a few word of the day type services.

Once you register you can either send out messages to the group through the website or by using your phone.

I guess the downside of this is that your students are going to be paying every time they send a message, and I've no idea what the rates are likely to be. I tried to register using my own phone here in Morocco, but never get the confirmation message with my registration code, so that's about as far as I got.
  • Anyone else tried this?
  • Do you know of other similar services that are free?
Would be very interested in hearing comments from anyone else doing anything like this.

To try GupShup go to: http://www.smsgupshup.com

Best

Nik Peachey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nik,

Nice post, and a very interesting use case for SMS GupShup. I work as a product manager at SMS GupShup, and wanted to help you with your use of SMS GupShup.

Your registration should have happened and you should have got the confirmation code. I will try and figure why that did not happen.

If you have any questions/queries, please feel free to contact me @
tathagata [at] webaroo [dot] com