What's also really useful is that the site also provides tape scripts, so it is possible for students to read first and then see how the intonation, facial expression and other paralinguistic features change the meaning of the words.
An excellent example of this is a short clip of Gervais talking about how the economic recession has effected Celebrities.
- To use this you could introduce the topic by getting your students to think about their opinions on this topic.
- Then get them to read the tape script and see if they agree with the celebrity.
- Then watch the clip and indicate on the tape script where they think he is joking or being ironic and when he is being serious.
- You could also get your students to try identify the paralinguistic features that indicate that he isn't serious.
- Using 'How to' videos
- Online Video: For Language Development
- Online Video: As Communication
- Online Video: As Knowledge Resource
- Online Video: Authentic Genres
- Find out about free video editing software
- YouTube for IWBs with PicLens
- Free Educational TV Channels